How do I teach my child to read is a question asked by many concerned parents of children who are struggling to learn to read?
Unfortunately many children leave primary (elementary) school unable to read fluently. This is a serious issue for without the ability to read and write a child has limited opportunities both personal and vocational.
It is estimated that 20% of the adult population struggle with reading.
The good news is your child can learn to read using the system developed by Keda Cowling over a twenty five year period. Every aspect of her system outlined in her book ‘Toe by Toe’ has been vigorously tested and verified.
Toe by Toe is a highly structured step by step system that must be followed to the letter.
YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERY EXERCISE IN THE BOOK AND YOU MUST START FROM THE FIRST EXERCISE.
EVERY CHILD HAS TO COMPLETE EVERY LESSON. DO NOT ASSESS YOUR CHILD’S ABILITY LEVEL. EVERY STUDENT MUST START AT THE BEGINNING. SHORT CUTS UNDERMINE THE STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAM. SOME CHILDREN WILL WORK THROUGH THE LESSONS QUICKLY AND MANY WILL NOT.
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO PRESENT THE PROGRAM TO YOUR CHILD THIS WAY DO NOT START IT. YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME..
The book is inexpensive and saves tutoring fees which are. There are copyright restrictions on the book and on photocopying the lessons.
I have a copy of this book and wished I had it years ago when I was teaching scores of students with reading issues. I would have used it with every teenage student. They would have had a personal copy of each lesson readily at hand and a permanent record of their progress.
WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM THIS BOOK?
- Children diagnosed with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia).
- Adults with weak reading skills.
- Parents with weak reading skills who want to help their children.
- Special needs teachers.
- Support staff in schools under the direction of a teacher.
THE FORMAT OF THE BOOK
The book has three areas overall
- Other information – why the exercises are included
- Instructions – set out as coaching boxes headed Coach
- Exercises – carefully recorded. Minute progress is made with each lesson.
- Anyone with a moderate reading ability will be able to teach another person to read
- It is recognised that reading problems are often inherited
- It is recognised that some parents will struggle to adapt to a system that is too complex. Toe by Toe isn’t complex.
- The coaching boxes contain all the information you need to teach your child.
- You do not have to read Other Information sections
- Toe by Toe is not an activity book for children to work with by themselves. They have to have a coach directing them
- There is no manual needed. The coaching box is all that is needed.
- The program is very successful with parents as coaches because they are not restricted by classroom procedures as teachers are.
- Used as planned Toe by Toe can accelerate a child’s reading age.
- There is enough repetition provided to ensure a child learns.
- The program is structured because experience has taught the authors that it works.
- Toe by Toe considers all learners to be educable equals.
WHY TOE BY TOE WORKS
- It combines a multi-sensory approach with a memory bonding technique.
- Student has their own book which is all the equipment needed.
- Needs little preparation by the coach
- Success is felt by the student from the beginning
- Where the student left off is immediately visible to the coach
- Coaching can be done at home and school.
- The program aids a student’s spelling development
IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR CHILD’S READING YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT TODAY!
You can purchase Toe-by-Toe HERE
“Before Toe by Toe” I was living in a deep dark hole. Everyone else understood things and I didn’t. When I was given the book, I felt a rope ladder had been thrown down to me. It didn’t have any rungs…I had to build them myself and that has taken time. Now I feel I’m near the top and I can see daylight. I feel sorry for anyone stuck at the bottom.
Edward C. (Aged 10) Nantwich, Cheshire. UK
“I have now used the scheme with many pupils of all ages and without exception all have been amazed, in a relatively short time, at their unexpected progress. Like the 21 year old who told me about 1/3 of the way through the book, that he could now read the signposts when they went out for a drive!”
A.S. Private Tutor, Warwickshire, England.
If you have any questions concerning your child’s reading you can contact me. I will welcome your Inquiries. email@example.com
There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis